SOP ON OPERATION AND CALIBRATION OF COLONY COUNTER
The purpose of this SOP is to lay down the procedure for Operation and Calibration of Colony Counter.
This SOP is applicable for Operation and Calibration of Colony Counter ID No: —— used for the enumeration of microbial colonies on the agar plates in the microbiological analysis in the microbiology laboratory at a manufacturing facility.
- Microbiologist or his designee shall be responsible for Operation and Calibration of Colony Counter.
- A Microbiologist is responsible for related documentation activities.
- Head of Microbiology is responsible for effective implementation of the SOP.
- QA is responsible for review and Approval of the SOP.
Operation:( Manual Colony Counter )
- Clean the instrument with IPA before the operation start.
- Place the instrument in a clean and dry place. Switch ON the power switch of the instrument
- Ensure that the marker is connected to the instrument.
- Read the digital screen display, it should be “0000” if not then do it by pressing the reset button manually.
- Now place the Petri dish in an inverted position on the instrument platform to count the colonies by marking on each colony.
- The number of colonies will be counted and displayed on the screen.
- After completion of the work microbiologist should enter the details in the Instrument usage log book as per Annexure II.
- Calibration Frequency: Monthly.
- Attach UNDER CALIBRATION TAG on to the instrument.
- Follow the operating instructions for the operation.
- Press the tip of the marker pen 5 times, 10 times, 15 times, 20 times, 25 times and then check the number displayed on the screen.
- After completion of the calibration microbiologist should enter the details in the Calibration record of Colony counter and in Instrument usage log book.
- Acceptance Criteria: In all the cases the number displayed on the screen should not be differ from No. of a press of marker pen tip.
Trainer: Head of Microbiology
As Per Requirement
Annexure- I: Calibration Record of Colony Counter.
Annexure-II: Colony Counter Usage Record.