The purpose of this Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) is to describe the procedure for Operation and Calibration of Bursting strength apparatus.
This SOP is applicable to Bursting Strength Apparatus at manufacturing facility.
- Analyst/Section Head or his designee shall be responsible to follow the SOP.
- The Head of Quality Control Department or his designee shall be responsible for implementation of the SOP.
- BASIC OPERATION :
- Bursting strength tester controls and regulates the amount of load on the sample under test.
- First switch the ball valve to “ON” position (i.e. Parallel to the line) for compressed air.
4.1.3 Switch on the electric supply mains switch. (This will retract plunger to its starting position, if it is not at it.)
- The front panel of instrument has two sets of keys:
- Function keys
- Alphanumeric Keypad.
- Function Keys: These keys are used for changing any settings or configuring the options of the instrument.
Set Mode Key: It is used for setting the modes of operation and their set points. There are four modes paper, board, foil and other.
To enter into mode of testing press “Set Mode” key once and select test type i.e. BOARD TEST by using next key.
Now again press “Set Mode” key it will enter into general settings.
First set ply type using keypad and use next key to shift the digits.
Press “Set Mode” to come out from the general settings.
- Time/Date Key: It is used for setting the time and date.
- Cal. Key: This key is used for calibrating the instrument as well as editing the set point limits, etc. To change any parameters value use keypad ( 0 to 9 ) and to shift the digits use “Next” key.
- Batch Info Key: This key is used for feeding user parameters as listed below
- Supplier Add
- User Add
- Sample size
- Sample Code
- AR No.
- Ply Code
- User ID
- Batch No.
- The Alphanumeric Keypad: have different functions. These are used to feed the alphabets or numbers as may be necessary.
In other keys, Next key is used for moving the cursor where the values are to be edited.
Enter key is used for saving the values after they are edited or entered.
Start key is used for starting the cycle.
Print key is used for printing the result of the recent process cycle.
Stop key is used to abort the cycle.
Unit key is used to display the peak value in other predefined units.
- Operation Mode: There are four modes of operation:
- 1.Paper test mode
- 2.Board test mode
- 3.Foil test mode
- 4.Other test mode
Prior to conducting a test, the type of test must be selected using the SET MODE key as mentioned in Function Key description.
- Fill the complete entries using procedure for Basic Operation.
- Place the sample to be tested in place (under the clamping mechanism)
- Press the start key on the keypad
- The clamp relay comes ON and the clamping mechanism is activated by the pneumatic solenoid.
- Once the clamp is in place, the motor comes ON and slowly increases Pressure/ load on the sample under test until the sample under test bursts.
- Once the bursting is complete, the motor automatically reverses and the Peak Burst Value is held and is displayed on the LCD display.
- The next cycle will start when the sample is placed and start button is pressed.
- Fill the instrument usage log whenever the instrument is used.
Calibration Frequency: Quarterly
- FOR CALIBRATION OF BURSTING STRENGTH TESTER USINGSTANDARD ALUMINUM FOIL.
- Place standard Aluminum foil of a known bursting strength over a diaphragm.
- Determine the bursting strength of it at three places as per the method
Limit: As mentioned in the Calibration Certificate for Aluminum Foil used.
Trainer : Head – Quality Control
Trainees : Sectional Heads / Analyst / Officers
Controlled Copy No.1 : Head of Department – Quality Assurance
Controlled Copy No.2 : Head of Department – Quality Control
Original Copy : Head – Quality Assurance
Annexure I: Calibration Data Sheet
Instrument User Manual
- REVISION HISTORY:
|Sr. No.||Revision No.||Change Control Number||Details of Revision||Reasons(s) for Revision|
|1||00||———–||New SOP||New SOP|